Lake Lanier is a reservoir in the northern portion of Georgia. It was created by the completion of Buford Dam on the Chattahoochee River in 1956, and is also fed by the waters of the Chestatee River. The lake encompasses 38,000 acres or 59 square miles of water, and 692 miles of shoreline at a normal level. Named for poet Sidney Lanier, it was built and is operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for flood control and water supplies. Lake Lanier is located in portions of Hall, Forsyth, Dawson, Gwinnett and Lumpkin counties. The major towns proximate to the lake are Buford, Gainesville, and Cumming. It’s just 60 miles north of Atlanta and about 150 miles southeast of Chattanooga, TN.